We are totally stuck on this DIY Slime Journal for back to school.
Our creative DIY-er Alli D. developed this simple but amazing DIY project to personalize notebooks or journals by creating a custom slime cover. Just in time for back to school, your kids will have a blast creating a variety of slime then use it to make their journal the coolest in the class.
Use the simple homemade slime recipe (included in the directions below) utilizing our Mica Pigment Powder. Your children can make varieties of slime as colorful as their imagination. Once the slime is set, follow the directions to create a squishable slime cover for the journal.
A homemade Slime Journal is a really fun DIY craft, plus an excellent science lesson. You can discuss science concepts like mixtures, elasticity, and substances while creating your custom slime.
- A blank hardcover journal
- Clear plastic pencil pouch with zip closure
- Holographic Washi Tape
- Duct Glitter Craft Tape
- Craft scissors
- 1 metal or glass mixing bowl
- 3 small washable bowls
- 3 sticks to stir slime
- Baking Soda
- Saline Solution
- 8 oz. bottle of Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue
- Gold Series - Mica Pigment Powder
- Glue gun with glue stick
Gather all supplies and cover workspace in newspaper or plastic to protect surfaces. Turn the hot glue gun on.
MAKE THE SLIME
- Mix 8 oz of clear gel tacky glue and 1 TBSP of baking soda in the large mixing bowl.
- When blended, add 1 oz of saline solution and thoroughly mix.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 3 small washable bowls.
- Slowly stir in Mica Pigment Powders to add color to the slime. Choose different colors for each of the 3 bowls. Feel free to add glitter to the slime mixture, if you’re feeling sparkly.
MAKE THE SLIME JOURNAL
- Using a scissor, carefully trim the edge off the clear plastic pencil pouch that has holes for a binder. When cutting, make sure to keep the seal of the pouch intact.
- Place all 3 kinds of slime into the clear pouch using your hands to slide and squish the material to fill the entire pouch. Seal the pouch using the zip closure.
- Set the pouch on top of the blank journal with the zip closure hanging over the long edge of the journal (where it opens).
- Use the hot glue gun to adhere the clear plastic pouch to the journal cover by gluing the left side, top, and bottom edges to the front of the journal. Secure by placing your favorite colors of Holographic Washi Masking Tape where the pouch is glued to cover.
- Fold the zip closure of the pouch over the edge of the journal and glue to the inside of the notebook cover. When glue is dried, secure the closure to the inside cover with Duck Glitter Craft Tape.
- Use your favorite tape to cover all the edges of the pouch where you’ve glued to the journal. This secures the pouch to the journal and adds more personality.
Now the DIY Slime Journal is ready for action! You can make multiple slime journals for classmates, friends, or family members. Whatever you do, your custom slime journals will be the talk of the class.
We can’t wait to see how your DIY Slime Journals turn out! Don’t forget to tag us when you post the photos of your journal on social media.
The Doodle Hog Team