This is the one time that we’re going to say that it’s OK to let your kids play with some food! There are few craft materials as accessible and fun as dry pasta.
Noodle crafts are one of our favorite DIYs because it’s easy to do, inexpensive, and the results are SO COLORFUL! This DIY Rainbow Noodle Craft lets your kids make a piece of bright and textured art that is worthy of showing off on any refrigerator.
It’s a great project for kids to explore their creativity by playing with colors and shapes, while working on hand-eye coordination. And the materials for this project are non-toxic and safe for the whole family.
So grab some dry macaroni from the pantry, a couple of household items, and your NOYO Color Crayons so you can brighten your kids day with this Rainbow Noodle Craft.
- NOYO Color Crayons
- Dry macaroni noodles
- White vinegar
- Food coloring in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
- Plastic bags
- Elmer's glue
We recommend making the colored noodles the day before starting the craft so the dyed pasta is dry and ready to use.
Make the Colored Noodles
- Pour 1 tablespoon of white vinegar into a plastic bag then add several drops of red food coloring. The more coloring that you add, the more vibrant the noodles will be.
- Add a handful of dried macaroni and seal the plastic bag.
- Gently shake the sealed bag to mix the macaroni with the dye solution as much as possible.
- Lay the bag down to let the macaroni soak for 15 minutes. If the macaroni sits for much longer it will get mushy.
- Repeat steps 1 through 5 with the remaining colors of food coloring.
- When the time is up, open the plastic bag and dump the dyed noodles onto parchment or craft paper to dry overnight.
- Make sure that none of the dyed macaroni is touching because they will get stuck together as they dry.
Make Your Rainbow
- Lay the piece of paper down the long way (horizontally).
- Use the NOYO crayons to color a large rainbow on the paper. Don’t forget the clouds!
- Using Elmer’s glue, make a line of glue on the red line of the rainbow from one end to the other.
- Place the red-dyed noodles onto the thin line of glue.
- Once the red line is complete, repeat with remaining colors then let the glue dry.
Feel free to glue on pieces of ribbon or add stickers to personalize the rainbow art.