Mommy and Me outfits with concepts like matching dresses or similar pattern shirts or even coordinating ugly Christmas sweaters. There are tons of variations on the Mommy and Me theme.
For the New Year, we wanted to share this variation of Mommy and Me style because it’s simple, inexpensive, and can be worn A LOT.
Design and create matching tie dye shoes for you and your kiddo. All you need is a tie dye kit, natural fabric shoes and a little sole. You can easily create Mommy and Me shoes by tie dying a pair of your shoes and a pair of your toddler’s shoes using the same dye colors and technique.
For this DIY, we chose to use the Rainbow Tie Dye Kit so that we could utilize a variety of bright colors.
If you prefer a louder tie dye vibe, check out our Neon Tie Dye Kit. If you lean towards the soft and sweet dyes, use the Pastel Tie Dye Kit too. You can try other techniques like monotone or striping, based on your tie dyeing experience level and comfort.
Whatever colors and tie dye technique you choose, this Mommy and Me DIY will let you stretch your creativity.
- Rainbow Tie Dye Party Kit
- Canvas Shoes for Toddler (made of mostly natural fibers)
- Canvas Shoes for Mom (made of mostly natural fibers)
- Plastic Activity Trays
- Small paint brush
- Gather all your supplies
- Prepare bottles of color dye
- Remove laces from both sets of shoes
- In a bucket, dissolve 1 tablespoon of soda ash into 8 cups of water then soak toddler shoes and adult shoes for at least 20 minutes.
- Wring out the shoes and let them dry completely. You do not have to rinse the shoes after you take them out of the soda ash mixture.
- Start by applying the lightest color before adding the darker hues. Make sure to lightly release the dye onto the shoe, as it will bleed quickly. Try to do all shoes simultaneously, so you can get the best match.
- Using a small paint brush, lightly brush the dye colors together where there is white space or simply brush on more of a color where it is needed. Keep in mind, the colors bleed quickly, so leaving a little space in between colors is helpful in avoiding colors blending into brown/gray.
- Once the shoes are fully covered in dye, simply wipe away any dye on the sides or bottom of the shoes.
- Let the shoes cure for at least 12 hours - 24 hours is best! We placed ours in front of a fan to help speed up the drying process.
- Lastly, you want to wash your shoes. You can either do this in your washing machine, with regular detergent, on the cold water cycle. Don’t combine with other items. If washing by hand, scrub the shoes with 1-3 squirts of mild dishwashing soap and cold water until the water runs clear.
Now you can walk into Mommy and Me style with adorable tie dye shoes!
We can’t wait to see the colorful coordinating designs of your DIY tie dye shoes! Don’t forget to use the hashtag #doodlehogmakers when you post photos of them on social media.
Happy Tie Dyeing,
The Doodle Hog Team